Coalescence is a filtration process in which fluid molecules agglomerate (i.e., come together) to form larger droplets that can be drained away using gravitational methods. It is used to remove impurities from process gas or liquid streams. Applications commonly involve separating hydrocarbon compounds (e.g., oil) from water.
The key to coalescence is the coalescer media. Its design and construction vary depending on the state of the process fluid and the impurities. If the process fluid and impurities are liquid, liquid-liquid coalescer filter media is required. If the process fluid is a gas, but the impurities are liquid, gas-liquid coalescer filter media is needed.
What Is Coalescer Filter Media?
Coalescer filter media consists of several layers of different materials, which vary depending on the filtration requirements. The materials are combined and bonded to form a single filter media. The resulting solution can offer filtration efficiencies comparable to particulate filter media.
While coalescer filter media solutions may operate/perform slightly differently by type (e.g., liquid-liquid or gas-liquid), they generally follow this process:
- Capturing the droplets
- Combining the captured droplets
- Separating the enlarged droplets from the fluid using gravity
H&V Products for Coalescers
Hollingsworth & Vose is a premier source of advanced materials for filtration applications. We offer a wide range of coalescer media solutions to suit various applications and process fluids. Media with single-layer and multi-layered structures are available to accommodate different filtration requirements. If needed, we can laminate materials with particulate layers for enhanced filtration performance.
We can design coalescer media to meet exact customer requirements, and can tailor the following:
- Filtration efficiency
- Particle size
- Dustholding capacity
- Liquid/gas carryover
- Air permeability
- Maximum pore size
- Average pore size
Why Choose H&V for Coalescer Filter Media Solutions?
By choosing H&V for your coalescer filter media needs, you benefit from our:
- Global network. We maintain a global network of R&D and manufacturing facilities and sales representatives, which enables us to provide our filtration and separation solutions to customers across the world.
- Commitment to sustainability. We fully understand the importance of providing sustainable products from environmental and ethical perspectives, which is why we are committed to developing and manufacturing products that are sustainably and ethically produced. Additionally, we strive to be good neighbors and good stewards of resources and the environment. Our hundreds of employees in dozens of communities across the globe work together to create a cleaner world.
- Innovation-focused mindset. While we are proud of our past, we remain focused on the future. Our team is ready to solve the next generation of challenges.
To learn more about our coalescer filter media solutions, contact us today.